Blog - Latest News

Understanding Recreational Fishing Regulations in British Columbia, Canada

As a sport fisherman, it is your responsibility to make sure you are following all recreational fishing regulations. In British Columbia, there are three different types of basic fishing licences: tidal water fishing, freshwater fishing, and licences for fishing in national parks.

At Eagle Nook Resort, we require a tidal water sport fishing license. As part of your Eagle Nook Resort experience, we will ensure that you have all of the required licenses, and that we are fishing in alignment with government regulations and best practices.

The requirement to have a license applied to all recreational fishers, including individuals under the age of 16. In Canada, tidal waters sport fishing licences are available as a 1 day, 3 days, or 5 days licence and can be purchased for juveniles, adults, and seniors.

Tidal Water Sport Fishing Licences in Canada


A Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Licence:

  • is required to fish for any species of finfish or shellfish.
  • is not transferable.
  • does not need to be signed by the licence holder.
  • can be obtained in person; a parent may obtain a licence for a child under age 16, and a licence can be obtained for a spouse.
  • must be produced on request by a fishery officer, conservation officer, or fishery guardian, so ensure you have your licence with you while fishing or transporting your catch.
  • The licence holder shall record immediately and permanently on this licence all retained Chinook and halibut caught in any Management Area and lingcod caught in Areas 12 to 19 (excluding Subarea 12-14), Subareas 20-5 to 20-7, and 29-5.
  • The licence holder’s current licence and all catch records must be available for immediate inspection upon request of a fishery officer or fisheries guardian.
  • Children under 16 years old are required to obtain a licence, however, there is no fee.
  • It is illegal to hold more than one licence

Non-tidal Angling Licences or Freshwater Licences in Canada  

If you are 16 years or over:

  • You must have a valid basic licence to sport fish for any species of fish in non-tidal waters (including salmon)
  • You must purchase appropriate supplementary licences and stamps to fish for conservation species (see conservation surcharges and white sturgeon sections below) or on Classified Waters (see Classified Waters section below). These can be added to your basic licence at any time by accessing the e-Licence system and printing an updated licence, or by visiting Service BC or a Licence Vendor
  • You must carry your licence while sport fishing and, if asked, produce it for inspection by a Conservation Officer, Fishery Officer, RCMP constable, Park Ranger in a park, or an Officer under the Wildlife Act

When you book a west coast fishing charter with Eagle Nook Resort, we manage all the details on your behalf. All of our fishing charters are aboard our 26-28 foot Grady White boats and are equipped with the latest and greatest fishing lures, bait and equipment. We will ensure you are properly licensed and that we are fishing within the regulatory parameters of the Barkley Sound region.

© 2024 Copyright Eagle Nook Resort
Skip to content