Eagle Nook Resort is located on the remote reaches of Vancouver Island’s rugged West Coast. We are surrounded by old-growth forests, abundant wildlife, and world-class salmon and halibut fishing. We are a bit biased, but we believe that Barkley Sound, home of Eagle Nook Resort, is one of the most spectacular places in the world. Each year, we welcome guests from around the globe to join us for adventure and excitement, relaxation and rejuvenation, or a little bit.
We know that you have various options when selecting your next getaway, adventure, corporate retreat, or fishing charter. To help you as you consider if Eagle Nook Resort is right for you, we have developed a definitive guide for selecting a fishing charter. We’ll walk you through everything you need to know to choose the perfect West Coast fishing charter, including the types of Fishing available and what to look for in a charter company. By the end, you’ll be ready to book your trip and start reeling in those big catches!
Types of West Coast Fishing
There are two main types of Fishing available on the West Coast: saltwater and freshwater.
Saltwater fishing in the ocean can be divided into two subcategories: bottom Fishing and pelagic Fishing. Bottom Fishing refers to catching fish that live near the sea floor, such as cod or halibut. Conversely, pelagic fishing targets fish that swim in mid-water or near the surface, such as salmon or mackerel.
As the name suggests, freshwater fishing is done in rivers and lakes. The most common type of freshwater fish caught on the West Coast is trout.
At Eagle Nook Resort, we specialize in world-class salmon and halibut fishing on the west coast of Vancouver Island, Canada. Our all-inclusive fishing packages feature private charters on one of our 26 – 28 ft fully equipped Grady White and North West Aluminium boats and experienced guides who will ensure you limit out while having the trip of a lifetime. Fish calm waters inside Barkley Sound or head offshore for an adrenaline-packed fishing experience.
What to Look for in a West Coast Fishing Charter Company
Now that you know the different types of Fishing available on the West Coast, it’s time to start narrowing down your search for a charter company. Here are some factors to keep in mind:
– Location: Where do you want to fish? How will you get there? What experience are you expecting once you arrive? Eagle Nook Resort is accessible by driving into Port Alberni and being picked up by water taxi, boat in, or fly-in by float plane right to our dock. Relaxed fine dining, water view rooms, fully guided fishing charters, hiking trails, kayaking, and paddle boarding. Eagle Nook offers the perfect place to escape for both adventure and relaxation.
– What is included? At Eagle Nook Resort, with our high-end reels, fishing rods, and Scotty downriggers, you’ll be reeling in trophy-sized halibut and salmon in no time. Our fishing charters are aboard our 26 – 28 ft Grady White’s and North West Aluminium boats and equipped with the latest and greatest fishing lures, bait, and equipment. They also feature twin-powered engines and 4-stroke trolling motors, stereos, below-deck enclosed washrooms, and modern, up-to-date radar and electronics. Each of our fishing charters is unique and private; we do not mix any of our groups. With no more than three guests per boat (or a family of 4), we can cater to your needs and go to the locations based on what fish you’re after. We’ll make sure that you and your friends leave with your limits of fish.
– Trip length: How long do you want to be out on the water? Most West Coast fishing charters range from half a day to a full day. At Eagle Nook Resort, our packages are all-inclusive and run either Sunday – Thursday (4 nights/5 days) or Thursday – Sunday (3 nights/4 days). Your team will enjoy our luxurious resort, featuring:
- Deluxe ocean-view rooms
- Relaxed fine dining
- Post fishing “Dock Side” lunch
- Afternoon ‘appy’ hour
- Access to kayaks, paddle boards, frisbee golf, and 17 km of hiking trails
- Outdoor hot tub and patio area
- Full access to other resort amenities (games room and more)
Now that you know what to look for, it’s time to start searching for the perfect West Coast fishing charter company (we hope it’s us!)